With Telegram, you can create group chats with up to 200 people so you can stay connected with everyone at once. Plus, you can share videos up to 1GB, send multiple photos from the web, and forward any media you receive in an instant. All your messages are in the cloud, so you can easily access them from any of your devices.
For those interested in maximum privacy, we’ve added Secret Chats, featuring end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient. When it comes to Secret Chats, nothing is logged on our servers and you can automatically program thEnter your state heree messages to self-destruct from both devices so there is never any record of it.
We built Telegram to make messaging safe again so you can take back your right to privacy.
Telegram messages are heavily encrypted and can self-destruct.
Telegram lets you access your messages from multiple devices.
Telegram delivers messages faster than any other application.
Telegram servers are spread worldwide for security and speed.
Telegram has an open API and protocol free for everyone.
Telegram is free forever. No ads. No subscription fees.
Telegram keeps your messages safe from hacker attacks.
Telegram has no limits on the size of your media and chats.
We Can do It!
Help make messaging safe again – spread the word about Telegram.
We hope everybody had a great celebration. We at Telegram certainly did. One of our engineers got so excited about the new year that he mistakenly shared awful stickers with his Mom. To fix this, he quickly added a way to unsend recently sent messages. This smart move saved his morning, and it can still save yours! If you use Telegram v.3.16 or later, you can now unsend any weird messages you shared within the last 48 hours.
The holiday season is in high swing in many parts of the world, so we figured some of you folks are busy traveling. If that’s the case, you may want to check out the new Network Usage section that shows exactly how much data you consumed while in roaming or wi-fi or whatever. Don’t forget to hop on the hotel wifi before any serious Telegramming in foreign lands. And remember that you can toggle automatic media download in Telegram Settings.
This is the perfect season to meet new people. Want to give them some contact information, but a phone number seems like too much? That’s exactly the reason we added usernames and Telegram.me links waaay back in 2014.
Starting today, you can use t.me instead of telegram.me. Take a napkin, write t.me/username in no time, and give it to someone before they can get away.
This also works with channels: t.me/telegram
Public groups: t.me/snowballfight
And stickers: t.me/addstickers/NickSantini
Android Developers Never Sleep
85% of Telegram users are on Android. Our CEO is worried that, if ignored, this Android population can start a rebellion and dethrone him. To please the mob, he made us introduce the following features to the Android app:
Messages from one sender are now neatly grouped together, and scrolling up shows the date right away, making the chats easier to navigate.
The app now restores your previous scroll position when you switch back to a chat. Very useful when somebody sends you a saga in 1,000 messages, and you want to patiently read them in the right order.
- Sharing files (a feature we had since forever) has become easier because you see a list of recently downloaded files right on the sharing screen.
- We now support GBoard, the Google keyboard that can apparently send cat GIFs.
- And for those 2 users that already have Android 7.1 installed, we are happy to announce that we’ve added a fast action menu with frequent chats to your home screen. All hail the early adopters!
- Back to the important stuff: the cowboy, the clown, and the sick face emoji (also known as the ‘exfoliating green tea mask face’ emoji) have found their way to Android. We support all of them now.
- What do these emoji mean? When are you supposed to use them? Is the singular form of ‘emoji’ in fact ‘emojus’? To answer all these questions with utmost accuracy, we’ve also added support for the question emoji.
Today’s update brings tools to prevent others from saving content in groups and channels, the ability to delete messages from specific dates, new ways to manage your connected devices, an option to post anonymously in public groups on behalf of your channel and more.
Protected Content in Groups and Channels
With this update, we’re helping creators protect the content they publish on Telegram and ensure that it is available only for their intended audience.
Group and Channel owners who want to keep their content members-only can restrict message forwarding from their chat, which also prevents screenshots and limits the ability to save media from posts.
To change users’ ability to forward messages open the Group or Channel Info page > Group / Channel Type > Restrict Saving Content.
Delete Messages by Date
Telegram users have complete control over their digital footprint and can delete any messages from a conversation at any time. With this update, you can clear chat history from a specific day or date range in any one-on-one chat.
To open the calendar, tap the date bar that pops up as you scroll through the chat – then choose which days to clear.
Clearing history by date currently only works in one-on-one chats, but messages in any chat can be set to auto-delete one day, week, or month after sending.
Manage Connected Devices
You can use Telegram on all your devices at the same time, and the Devices menu helps you control where your account is logged in. We’ve added a new button to quickly link a desktop device and a setting to automatically log out inactive devices after some time.
Tap any device in the list to view more information and toggle whether it can accept calls or new Secret Chats.
Telegram is available for every platform – check out telegram.org/apps to download the app on your other devices.
Anonymous Posting in Public Groups
Public Groups and Channel Comments allow for discussions of any topic in massive communities with thousands of members. These groups are used for everything from defending democracy to chatting with fans, which is why we’ve added the ability to appear as a channel when sending messages in these chats.
Tap the profile picture next to the message bar and choose one of your channels – the messages you send after that will appear with the name and photo of the channel instead of your personal account.
When posting as your channel, you’ll also see the channel name at the top of your message bubbles.
New Ways to Log In via Call
Starting today, some mobile devices will be offered the option to receive a login call from Telegram and then enter several digits of the phone number that called – instead of getting codes via text message.
Responses to Join Requests
When you request to join a group or channel and its admin responds with a message, you will see which community they are from at the top of the chat.
As of this update, bot admins can contact users requesting to join a chat where they are an admin — even if the user didn’t communicate with the bot before. This opens up endless possibilities: from simply accepting the rules of a group chat before joining, to passing an admission test, to making a small donation to the creators of a channel.
Global Chat Themes on Android
Our September update introduced 8 new themes that you could set for individual chats – and now they’re available for your entire app on Android (iOS users received this in the previous update).
Chat Settings have been fully redesigned, giving the new themes center stage. Built by the Telegram Team, every theme has a Day and Night mode, colorful animated background and gradient message bubbles.
Like all themes, you can personalize these designs and tweak the colors or change the pattern. For more options and custom settings, tap ‘Browse Themes’ to edit and share your creations.
Text Recognition on iOS 13+
On devices with iOS 13 and above, Text Recognition (Live Text) is enabled for photos in Telegram chats, allowing you to quickly select, copy and search without touching your keyboard. This image recognition is securely handled entirely on your device.
The list of supported languages is managed by Apple, so if yours isn’t in the list yet, stay tuned for future OS updates.
Format Text in Media Captions on iOS
A little bit of bold or italics can add just the right emphasis to a message, and now you can use all text formatting options in media captions as well – including text links.
Before you ask why Android isn’t getting this feature – it’s because Android already has it.
Redesigned Contact Info on iOS
Contacts, Groups and Channels have updated info pages with a new look in the style of iOS 15.
And that’s it for now. Let’s see how many more features we can build for you this year.
Previous release notes
- Turn any of your group chats into a hop-on, hop-off conference call.
- Get up to several thousand participants in each voice chat.
- Control the number of speakers with flexible admin tools.
Chat Folders and More
- Organize chats into Chat Folders if you have too many chats.
- Create custom folders with flexible settings, or use default recommendations.
- Pin an unlimited number of chats in each folder.
- Swipe between folders to easily access all of your chats.
- View detailed statistics about the growth of your channels and the performance of their posts.
- Send :dice: to any chat to try your luck and get a random number from the animated dice.
- Telegram for Android has now reached version 5.0 and received a major overhaul in the design department. It is now much easier to access shared media from the profiles of users, groups and channels.
- Custom languages. Crowdsource a cloud-based language pack for Telegram using our Translations platform – then apply it in real time.
- Instant View 2.0. View web pages instantly with support for more types of content.
- New design for profiles, notifications and sounds, and general settings. Profile pages offer quick access to shared media.
- Crisp previews, increased loading speed and more info in shared content sections.
- Swipe navigation when viewing image documents.
Previous release notes:
Secret chats are meant for people who want more secrecy than the average fella. All messages in secret chats use end-to-end encryption. This means only you and the recipient can read those messages — nobody else can decipher them, including us here at Telegram (more on this here). On top of this, Messages cannot be forwarded from secret chats. And when you delete messages on your side of the conversation, the app on the other side of the secret chat will be ordered to delete them as well.
You can order your messages, photos, videos and files to self-destruct in a set amount of time after they have been read or opened by the recipient. The message will then disappear from both your and your friend’s devices.
All secret chats in Telegram are device-specific and are not part of the Telegram cloud. This means you can only access messages in a secret chat from their device of origin. They are safe for as long as your device is safe in your pocket.
Themes, Multiple Accounts and More:
- Introducing Multiple Accounts on Android and Themes on iOS in Version 4.7.
- Happy winter holidays, everyone! To reinforce the festive mood, we‘re updating Telegram for the second time this December, adding features you’ve been asking for.
- With version 4.7 for iOS, you can change what your Telegram looks like in the new Appearance settings. Choose between four different themes, including a minimalistic one (“Day”) and two dark themes (“Night” and “Night Blue”). The “Day” theme also allows you to pick an accent color for the entire app, like pink or purple.
- The Android app already supported multiple themes, so it had to go further with 4.7 by supporting multiple accounts. You can add up to three accounts with different phone numbers to your Telegram app, and then quickly switch between them from the side menu. Notifications will keep coming from all accounts, unless you change this in the Notification settings.
- Telegram now supports quick replies on both mobile platforms. To use them, just swipe left on any message in a chat.